Sunday, April 3, 2011

Continue of Where

So on March 3rd I totaled my car. Rear ended by an uninsured motorist (of course). Then my car hit the SUV in front of me. Shortly thereafter my car ended up in the next adjacent lane (left side) and was struck in the front yet again.

My car is, was, a two door Pontiac Sunfire Coup. There isn't much left of it. Both air bags deployed. Salvageable parts were few.

My right ankle fractured in two places requiring the placement of two titanium screws. My family has taken to calling me the bionic women. I haven't walked in a month and will not walk for another two. My primary mode of transportation is a knee scooter,

Did I have uninsured motorist insurance? No. At the time of the accident I was having trouble paying for the liability insurance. Anything not required by the law was out of my means. Since the vehicle that hit my vehicle initially did not have even liability insurance, I am now struggling financially even more than before.

Between the tow of my vehicle from the accident site to the day we were able to release the car, the cost out of pocket was almost $400. The day after the accident I was seen in a walk in clinic, which required x-rays, crutches, an aircast, etc. After that I took the bus home to my family (two states away) to have surgery in a familiar hospital. There I had more x-rays, surgery, etc. Since then I have seen the surgeon once more to be casted. I had more x-rays before the cast was placed. In two weeks I will have more x-rays and be fitted with a walking cast. I still will not be able to walk for several more weeks.

Luckily I do have health insurance. The cost of my medical bills after insurance will be out of pocket. Also, as I am a dog walker and can not walk, I cannot work. I haven't worked for the last month and will probably not work again until July. While I am recovering, I am still car less and my bills are piling up.

No comments:

Post a Comment